When it comes to home improvements, the yard is often the most overlooked portion. Sure, we all want a big yard to host parties and allow our families to engage in outdoor recreation, but if you’re just concentrating on landscaping around your home, you’re missing out on not only the opportunity to create a dream spot for everyone to enjoy, but you’re also overlooking improvements that can increase the value of your home.
In fact, according to John Gidding, host of HGTV’s show Curb Appeal, the return on investment for professional landscaping can be as high as up to 150 percent. With numbers that attractive, it may be time to review your backyard and all the things you can add to make it the oasis you need and buyers want. After all, you’ll not only be able to take joy in your surroundings, if you decide to sell your home, you’ll have an edge in a competitive market.
The dramatic increase in home value that can be realized through proper landscaping is no surprise to B&D Rockeries. In operation since 1975, we’ve had client after client take the plunge to have beautiful, long-lasting rock-based landscaping added to their yard. Why stone? It’s beautiful, and it’s a durable, natural material. Our clients feel secure that their new landscaping will continue to improve their surroundings for years to come.
With service areas throughout the greater Seattle area, many of our clients want to install landscaping that compliments the natural beauty found in our state. Rock and stone materials in yard improvement are unparalleled materials when used to achieve an organic landscaping feature.
Types of Improvements
Best of all, you don’t have to go to extremes when you choose rock as the material for your landscaping projects. The visual and functional impact of even a small installation can change the entire look and feel of your yard. Let’s review some ways you can incorporate rock and stone into your landscaping:
- Stone retaining walls – Not only are they gorgeous, but retaining walls can also be placed to solve common yard complaints. If you have an area that’s prone to erosion or always seems to keep water after a heavy rain, a properly situated stone retaining wall can do wonders for your yard. It also gives homeowners the opportunity to further add foliage and flowering plants that can make your yard a work of art. Retaining walls truly allow you to make use of previously neglected areas of your yard. When you install a rock retaining wall, you know that the feature will withstand the elements. B&D Rockeries takes care of everything you need for your retaining walls, including design, excavating, and sod.
- Rain gardens and ponds – For homeowners searching for an ecologically friendly solution to areas of their yards that retain water, or who simply want to enjoy the tranquility of a backyard pond, few things can compare to a stone-lined water feature. Once installed, native plants can be incorporated to further maximize drainage. With B&D Rockeries, you even have the option of having a waterfall built in conjunction with your pond, which allows you to create maximum impact with your feature.
- Stone pathways – It’s difficult to imagine a more romantic look for your yard than stone pathways, surrounded by incredible landscaping. The strength and beauty of rock are ideal for this application. Stone pathways are ideal for either simply designating walking paths through your yard, or creating a garden feature with plants spaced between the walkway.
- Patios – Patios have been trending in exterior home improvement projects for the past few years, and when you consider the ease a well-installed patio adds to outdoor entertaining, it’s not difficult to see why. Whether you choose to add a small, quaint patio with a rock floor or an elaborate, raised patio, a designated place to entertain outdoors is always an excellent choice.
- Stairs – You can truly make your home your castle with the installation of stone stairs. They’re beautiful and can give your home brand new curb appeal. Flagstone is one of the most popular materials chosen for stairs, due to its ease in use and minimal upkeep once installed. Flagstone is available in a variety of colors and is relatively easy to work with.
We hope this quick overview of the uses of stone and rock in your landscaping has inspired you to take a new look at your yard. If you’re ready to consider your options, contact B&D Rockeries for a free, no-obligation quote on your dream project. Remember, we’re not only specialists in rock and stone installation, but we can also help you realize any dream you have for your home’s landscaping. We can provide turf installation, planting, and many other landscaping needs.
With over 35 years in the landscaping business, our licensed contractors are experts at design and installation. We take great pride in providing our clients with fast, efficient services and our excellent reviews. Don’t spend another summer with a plain, boring yard, let B&D Rockeries and get started on your very own backyard paradise.